Friday, August 13, 2010

Puppy Mills....................Helping the Helpless

I went to the shelter today to volunteer with some dogs from the most recent puppy mill rescue. I've been volunteering for 12 years and thought that I was immune to heartbreak. I try and focus on the positive and keep my chin up knowing that any animal that enters through our doors is at least guaranteed to have a happy life from here on out. However, today brought on emotions that are new to me, and I just need to share. Let me explain.

When you go to a pet store, dear reader and friend, you see a beautiful, seemingly healthy, well groomed puppy. What you don't see is the mommy and the daddy who are left behind at the mill. You don't see the abuse that goes on in order to get that puppy in the store that you are just dying to take home. Well, I've seen it. This is the third puppy mill rescue I was involved in, and it was by far the worst.

The momma is so matted that she can't even see in front of her. But, it doesn't really matter does it? Because there's not much for her to look at from her little 2X2 cage that she spends her life in. She has what we call cage paws, where her little toes look unnaturally separated and flat footed from walking on wire mesh day in and day out. Her teats are swollen and hang down permanently from her sad little belly. Her fur is stained from the iron in her saliva. She compulsively licks herself as a result of no other stimulation and boredom. Her teeth are rotted if she has any left. Who really cares about her teeth? They are not necessary for the production of puppies. In fact, it might be better if she has no teeth so that she cannot fight the male's advances when it is time to mate her again. Her one and only purpose in life is to produce puppies. And, it is something she will do time and time again.

You see, puppy mills are nothing but money machines. And it doesn't really help the profit margins to take any better care of the parents. Why care for the teeth or get them groomed or do anything else that will affect the bottom line? As long as they can get puppies to the store and generate top dollar for the smallest investment, then the puppy mill owner considers it a success.

When they are done with the momma and daddy dogs, they are either auctioned off, or taken out back and either shot, strangled, or disposed of in some other way.

The organization that I am fortunate enough to be involved with cares enough to do something about it. They are going to these auctions and buying the old, used up dogs. They are transporting them cross country to give them the medical care and the socialization necessary to help them be a household pet and live out the rest of their days with dignity in a warm home with love and attention.

Tonight, I met Mac the gorgeous brindle boxer. He is the mushiest, sweetest boxer ever. I found out that the shelter won him at auction for $1.00. What would his fate have been in someone else's hands? What kinds of people go to these auctions, and what could his fate have been? Bait for dog fights? A lab test animal? I can't even imagine. He was better on a leash than my 15 lb. nothing of a dog. His teats were so swollen and hung down so far (yes, on a boy), that I can't imagine what he might have been through to make them that way. He has a terrible case of cherry eye and is being treated for other minor conditions. He wants to be loved. While in the dog run with a chance finally to run like a normal dog, he just wanted to climb in my lap and be petted. When I look at him pleading to me with his eyes, I try and imagine what his life may have been like. Had he ever felt grass before? Had he ever slept on a soft bed?

Then there was the schnauzer whom I couldn't even touch. He is so terrified that he trembles all the time, and can't bear to be touched by a human. I took him outside for a few minutes in the hopes that he might approach me if I left him alone and gave him time to calm down. With every single noise he heard, he jumped. I thought he was going to have a heart attack right there. If he could have blended in with the walls, he would have. All he could do is scratch to get back in what he felt was his safe place - the cage. And even there he trembled with fear. What was his life like to make him so incredibly fearful? Was he beaten, tormented? Will he ever trust? Is there any way that the rest of his life can be peaceful and happy?

Some of the dogs are so fearful of humans that they have bitten the caretakers at the shelter. The ones who bite out of fear will take the longest to socialize and prepare for a life in a home with a family. They are by far the saddest. My heart breaks for them and yet, there is so little I can do to help. I can clean up their poo and give them fresh food and water. I can sit close by and hopefully help them get used to people being closer to them. When a 6 or 7 year old dog finds itself uprooted from everything it has ever known and told that it has a new identity and a new role in life, how quickly should it fall into place for them? And, how to we prevent this in the future? Well, the answer to the last question is obvious:

DO NOT BUY PUPPIES FROM PUPPY STORES. DO NOT SUPPORT PUPPY MILLS. DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER SO THEY CAN KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST PUPPY MILLS.

Please, I implore you. I know how adorable that puppy is in the puppy store window. But, think about the things you are not seeing that bring that puppy to the store. And, think about how you are perpetuating the situation when you buy a puppy store puppy. Please, don't do it. Find a reputable breeder or visit your local animal shelter. It is my most sincere hope that someday we will no longer have to do these puppy mill rescues. They break my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment